After trying a number of different recipes I finally came up with the perfect protein pancakes, minus the bloat. I don’t usually use protein powder very much because, personally, I don’t think they are the best source of protein as, no matter how “natural” “raw” or “organic” they can be they aren’t a whole food. But, for days that you can’t be bothered its a great ingredient to have on hand and, with good quality protein powder these can become a staple! In fact, these have become just that for me especially since I am now on holidays and have the time! Additionally, these babies can be new and exciting everyday depending on what topping you choose. In this recipe, however, I am going to show you some of my FAVORITE toppings including, berry compote (it doesn’t get much better than that). If you don’t like to use protein or don’t have any on hand than you can completely omit it and add more coconut flower or, just have a thinner consistency making them more crepes- totally up to you! Although, after a workout these are a great protein hit for optimal muscle recovery or, if your like me, they are great at any time of day or even night ( I won’t Judge).
All in all, play around with these and find out what is best for you! weather thats adding half a banana to the mixture or none at all, the world is your oyster my friend! Enjoy!
Serves 1- Makes four medium pancakes
Pancakes: You Will Need:
- 2 organic, free range eggs
- Half a scoop of your favorite protein powder
- 2 tablespoons of coconut flour
- 20 ml of dairy free milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Gluten Free baking powder
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil for frying
- Toppings: Banana, Berries, Almond Butter, Kiwi, Cocoa nibs, chocolate- endless!
- add all ingredients into a blender (I use a NutriBullet or Thermomix) and blend until combined
- Heat a saucepan on medium high heat, add a teaspoon of coconut oil, and spoon around two tablespoons of batter on the pan (spreading it out with the back of the spoon) cook for 2 minutes flip and repeat!
- 1/2 cup of frozen mixed berries (or any of your choice)
- optional: 1 teaspoon of sweetener (honey, maple syrup, few drops of Stevia or half a frozen banana)
- in the same pan as you made the pancakes, add the strawberries and sweetener of choice and wait until it cooks down to a thick syrup consistency (if you need you can add a splash of water if sticking)